My name is David Johnson. I live on the island of Maui in Hawaii, though I was born, raised and spent the first 40+ years of my life in the UK. Below I share a bullet pointed snapshot of my life and who I am, both a short and long version. My hope and wish is that the articles on this site will give you a flavour of who I am and how I view and experience the world.
I can also be found on Micro.Blog, and Twitter.
Here is the short version of some of the hats that I wear:
- I am a Life Coach, and trained with the Coaches Training Institute (CTI).
- I am an INFJ personality type.
- I work with Introverts and Highly Sensitive People.
- A niche of my coaching practice is working with men who identify with one or both of these personality types.
- I am a Buddhist, the foundation of my practice being the Gelug-pa tradition of Tibetan Buddhism.
- I sit in a men’s group that meets on a regular basis.
- I co-facilitate Men’s Mentoring circles in the local jail here on Maui.
- The group of women and men volunteers is called in Hawaiian, Ka Ipu Ha’a (in English, The Humble Vessel).
- Ka Ipu Ha’a’s website is here.
- An article about my life’s journey appeared in The Maui News.
Here is the slightly longer version, in the order that it has happened:
- I was born in Bristol, England.
- As a kid I lived in Seattle, USA for 1 year, and Jamaica for 2 years.
- In my teens, I taught myself to program a Commodore PET that use to sit on our dining room table. My uncle lent the computer to me, from his place of work.
- I have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, BSc.
- In my early 20’s I spent three years traveling, including a short trip home to “refuel”, through New Zealand, Australia, Pakistan, India, Nepal and China. Those years changed my life.
- I have practiced Buddhism, particularly within the Gelug-pa tradition of Tibetan Buddhism, for 30 years.
- During the early part of those years, I lived in a Buddhist Community in South Wales for 7 years, where by Tibetan Buddhist teacher lived.
- I built an award winning ecological house next door to the community and lived there for 10 years.
- That little corner of Wales where I spent 17 years of my life is still very dear to me.
- I have a Master’s degree in Transpersonal Psychology with a concentration in Ecopsychology, MA, from Naropa University.
- While studying on that Master’s program, I met my future wife.
- On getting married I moved to Portland, OR and had a wonderful 8 years there, living a very urban life, walking and biking everywhere.
- I graduated from CTI’s Certification, CPCC, program.
- Reading about the personality traits of Introversion and High Sensitivity, I closed a bit more of the circle of understanding about who I was and how I ticked. As a man, I was particularly interested in how men who identified with these personality types, navigated through their lives.
- My wife had lived on Maui for 18 years and during our time in Portland, kept a house there. So we visited at least once a year. After 8 years in Portland we moved back to Maui and 2 years later moved into a new house that we built.
- In 2015 I went through a workshop with the ManKind Project, and in doing so felt as though I had filled in a missing piece in my life, men’s work. As I have heard a number of times over the past few years, “For centuries men have been sitting in circles…”
- Towards the end of 2017 I started a monthly men’s group for men who identify as Introverts and/or Highly Sensitive.
- I recently appeared on the Micro Monday podcast, Episode #59, being interviewed by Jean MacDonald.